Foundation, originally written in serial form in the 1940s and then revised and combined into a complete book in the 1950s, in turn is the first book in a series of science fiction novels (also named "Foundation") set more than ten thousand years into the future, when a galaxy-wide empire envisioned by author Isaac Asimov is going decadent and beginning to crumble. On its capital planet of Trantor near the galaxy's center lives Hari Seldon, a "psychohistorian" by profession. By using intricate mathematics and principles of psychology, sociology, and history, Seldon determines that the Empire will soon dissolve and a prolonged dark age, lasting many thousands of years, will pervade the galaxy. But he has a plan to shorten that time span, and embarks on an elaborate scheme of projects and foreseen dilemmas (which he terms "Seldon Crises") to steer humanity back on a fast-track to reunite under a new (and hopefully improved) empire. The story thus develops with Seldon explaining his ideas to mathematician-recruit Gaal Dornick as well as to his persecutors working for the Empire. It then jumps ahead fifty years to another situation with other characters when a Seldon Crisis forces their hand and directs them onto a path toward Seldon's goals. These leaps of time between stories, with subsequent new characters and an accompanying Seldon Crisis in each one, continues on throughout the book. What happens in them I leave you, the reader, to discover for yourself...
I have read the opening novel Foundation a couple of times before, but I only read the core series of five novels in its entirety once. It had a great ending, and I recently decided to go through it once more. There are also a couple of prequel novels Asimov wrote for it, as well as three other "Foundation" books that others wrote after his death in 1992. Maybe I'll get around to reading them, too, but for now I'm rereading the "five"...
Next in the series is Foundation and Empire...