International professional league soccer can be downright confusing at times. At the same time that the various leagues are going on with their regular seasons, a parallel "league" is also taking place. In Europe, the UEFA takes the 22 top finishers of the various European leagues from the previous season...and then adds 10 more teams to comprise the 32 that will begin group stage play in a few weeks. Those 10 teams are now being determined through a series of playoff games. Fox Sports and Spanish-speaking Galavision are showing several of them on their different channels. On Galavision (Gainesville Cox Channel 89) I just saw the ending of one between Celtic (of Scotland) and Malmo (of Sweden) with the former prevailing. Right now I'm viewing the second half between Valencia (of Spain) and Monaco on Fox Sports 1 (Channel 62)...Valencia currently leads 2-1...
Since I can't watch all the various European leagues in professional soccer, this Champions League gives me the opportunity to acquaint myself with teams that I normally would not be able to follow...especially those from Spain, France, and Italy. Also, it's fun to see how well (or poorly) some of the English (Barclay's) Premier League teams fare against their European competition...