Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Looking at Upcoming Running Races

It's close to the end of July this year and I feel it's also time for me to consider what I am going to do about the upcoming long-distance running races: which ones I should enter and how I should go about training for them.  The most immediate race coming up in my general area is the Alachua Lake Half-Marathon, which is a run down the Hawthorne Trail just southeast of Gainesville, something I've done twice before in the Tom Walker Memorial Half-Marathon.  This race will take place on Sunday, October 11.  Then there is the Bay Marathon/Half-Marathon in Apalachicola, which is on the Florida Gulf Coast in the panhandle.  I'd been looking at this one ever since 2010, but I never felt ready enough to participate in it.  It will be held this year on October 18...by that time I sincerely hope the weather here will have cooled down a bit.  I probably should make a decision soon about either this race or Alachua Lake (but not both) and whether I want to go for the marathon or half-marathon distance should I go for the Apalachicola one (which frankly sounds more interesting).  I need to recondition my body to running on asphalt again as well as under adverse weather conditions...I think my general endurance level is pretty good.  However, in spite of the mileage I've been accumulating, my weight could stand lowering by about 20 lbs...so wiser eating is a must if I don't want to be hauling extra luggage with me on every step.

Aside from the Alachua Lake and Apalachicola races, that Tom Walker Half-Marathon will be held on November 14.  And there are my two favorites to consider: the Ocala Marathon/Half-Marathon in January and Gainesville's Five Points Marathon/Half-Marathon in February.   Besides these there are various events planned for surrounding areas, most notably in Jacksonville and other cities on the north Florida Atlantic Coast...