There are three college football games that interest me on this New Year's Day, 2015. One is the Birmingham Bowl featuring Florida against East Carolina. The other two are obviously the championship playoff games: the Rose Bowl between Oregon and Florida State and the Sugar Bowl between Alabama and Ohio State. The action begins with the Gators at 1 PM and continues on into the evening with the Sugar Bowl closing it. I'm sure there are other games as well, but these three actually mean something (at least to me). Not that I'm going to be sitting in front of the TV transfixed by football all day, mind you...I've got other things to do with my life as well today...
It would be sweet to see the Gators go out on a winning note and finish with a winning 7-5 record. East Carolina has an incredibly explosive offense, though, and it should be interesting to see how they match up against Florida's good defense. I'm finally done rooting against FSU this year, meaning that they'll probably lose this game against Oregon! They just keep winning their games and extending their winning streak and the bigshot talking heads in the sports media keep degrading them and placing them below other teams. I think their quarterback Jameis Winston has a professional's look about him when he stands behind the center before the snap and scans the defense...reminds me a bit of the Patriot's Tom Brady. As for the Sugar Bowl game, I instinctively root against Nick Saban, the Alabama coach, anyway, and Ohio State's coach Urban Meyer is coaching the other side. I'm siding with Meyer and his Buckeyes, largely out of appreciation for what he did when he was at Florida (two national championships)...
CORRECTION: OOOPS, the Birmingham Bowl is set for Saturday, not today...but except for that, the article stands...