I was following the opening weekend NFL games off and on earlier Sunday afternoon. It looked for a while that the Jacksonville Jaguars were a lot better than the experts had predicted when they ran up an early 17-0 lead over the heavily-favored Philadelphia Eagles. But the expected order of events prevailed as the Eagles mounted an impressive comeback and won easily, 34-17. Meanwhile, I kept hearing updates on what was happening between my "main" team, the Miami Dolphins, and their nemesis the New England Patriots. That game was going downhill as well, with the Patriots building up a 17-7 lead and everything looking as if this might also turn into a rout. I took a break from following the football action for a while to do other things and didn't return until the ending of the Carolina-Tampa Bay game, around 7 pm. Unfortunately, the Buccaneers blew a comeback attempt in the last two minutes of that game with a fumble and lost a close one to the Panthers. It didn't look good at all for my Florida teams...but wait, how did that Dolphins game turn out...that is, by how much did they get blown away?
When I saw the final score on my cell phone, I had to do a double take: Miami 33, New England 20! It seems that after the Dolphins had given the Patriots a 20-10 lead, largely through their own turnovers, they turned around in the second half and dominated the game. Suddenly, the one fact that Miami had won, over New England no less, rendered the unfavorable outcomes of the other games meaningless to me. I guess there's a lesson here: I have my preferences with the other teams, to be sure, but I am truly a fan of just one, for better or for worse: the Miami Dolphins. Maybe this will be the year they turn it around after so long in mediocrity...