Tuesday, September 9, 2014
Reunion "Reservations"
My high school just held its 40th year Class of 1974 reunion in Fort Lauderdale. I had gotten my name included in the reunion's Facebook group and was interested in the various posts and information. Thanks to those who put in the effort to make it all happen! I think a concept like getting together after a few years to touch base is a good idea in general...but specifically for me, not this reunion. For one, I also went to school with kids from the Classes of '73 and '75: but the reunion of course left them out, as high school reunions typically do. For another, my high school graduating class, depending on which section of my yearbook I look at, had somewhere between 410 and 480 students. Many of these I had never spoken to (nor had they spoken to me) and most of the others were just classmates that I never got to know very well. Not being by nature a very gregarious person, I only had a small number of friends when I went to high school...I simply was not into the social scene and I cared little about my own popularity among others. From what I could gather from the reunion's Facebook site, there were a few old friends planning to go the reunion and, yes, I suppose it would have been nice to meet back up with them. That being said, had I attended it I would have felt myself either (mostly) among strangers or among a smaller number of (hopefully former) enemies, for a few of the attendees that I did know would definitely fit into categories like "bully" or "snob" (or much worse, a malevolent combination of the two)...or at least they did forty years ago. I'd like to think that they all grew up out of their own hangups, as I humbly would like to think that I have also grown some, but why should I go to the expense of time and money to go down there and see? No thank you, the people I have now, here around me in my present life,...ZERO years from the past...are the ones who are the most real and meaningful to me. Maybe forty years from now I'll try to have a reunion with THEM! Should I happen to run into someone from my high school past, be they old friend or old foe (or old stranger or old slight acquaintance), the doors are always open from my side for resumed friendship or any needed reconciliation...but, to borrow a couple of titles from old rock songs, I do NOT have a delusional "Kodachrome" memory of any "Glory Days" from my high school experiences. Some of it was good, some of it bad...but for the most part it was just LIFE...pretty much the same way I look upon the present...