A few days ago I remarked in an article that watching soccer on television wasn't very interesting. But some of the recent games in the FIFA World Cup group stage have been exciting to behold. That 2-1 American victory over Ghana on Monday was high drama, as well as the 0-0 defensive draw between Brazil and Mexico. But I just finished watching what may have been the best match so far, as Uruguay scored a breakaway late goal to edge England 2-1. Also interesting is that Luis Suarez, who scored both of Uruguay's goals, has played on Liverpool in England's Barclay's Premier League. Now it looks unlikely that England will advance and is destined, like Spain and Australia, to make an early exit from the World Cup.
The United States will better learn whether or not it has a good chance to continue beyond the round-robin group stage when it plays Portugal this Sunday. But although I naturally pull for the Americans, I am more interested in following the tournament and getting to know the sport better. So even if the U.S. doesn't manage to advance, I'm still watching...