Friday, June 20, 2014

Just Finished Reading Paolini's Brisingr

A few years ago, after putting down a book I was reading in frustration and walking away from it , I decided to give it another try...and just finished reading to completion Christopher Paolini's Brisingr, the third of four volumes in his Inheritance series.  This fantasy undertaking borrows greatly from established epics like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, but still manages to establish clearly definable characters, a workable fantasy world geography and history, and its own peculiar set of rules that govern the use of magic.  The hero, in this case a teenager named Eragon, is the typical fantasy-land reluctant savior figure: he just wants to live in peace, but circumstances and the enemy have set him up as the "one" on which rests the hopes of the rest of the world to live in freedom and justice.  I've read others who have criticized Paolini for sticking to this common formula in fantasy writing, but to me it's just standard fare, an accepted feature of the genre.  What does bother me with this Inheritance series of his is how it has become overbloated with excessive introspection and explanations among its characters to the detriment of the ongoing narrative.  This bogging down of the plot is why I abandoned Brisingr back then...but I came back to at least see the story through.  And now, there's only one more book left: Inheritance. 

The unusual name Brisingr, by the way, refers to a fire-starting magical utterance that Eragon learned from his mentor Brom in book # 1.  It gains a further usage in this book...toward its end.  Eragon is the last of the free dragon riders and has a close telepathic bond to his dragon Saphira.  Together they support a rebel group called the Varden, which is fighting to overthrow brutal King Galbatorix.  Eragon loves an elf woman named Arya who does not return his affections.  He also has a cousin named Roran, whose story stands as an interesting subplot.  Also, an enigmatic young man named Murtagh looks to be a "wild-card" character whose actions may ultimately determine the outcome of the struggle.  Is he on the enemy's side or is he with Eragon?  I'm sure the next book will tell all...I just wish it wouldn't beat around the bush in the process...