Saturday, February 8, 2014

Rain Bothersome, But Will Help Prevent Fires

Since 1998, I have entered the late wintertime with a certain amount of trepidation...in that year we in northern Florida had experienced a drought severe enough to spawn several devastating forest fires in early spring.  Almost all of Flagler county on the east coast between St. Augustine and Volusia County was affected, while huge sections of Volusia were in flames.  For a time, it looked as if a firestorm would sweep into Ormond Beach and burn down whole neighborhoods...but the heroic efforts of firefighters kept it at bay.  In Alachua County where I live, we had our own fires to worry about, the worst of them being on the outskirts of Waldo, about 15 miles northeast of us.  When the wind was blowing in the opposite direction, it wasn't bad.  But one night it shifted suddenly in our direction and it felt as if the fire were right upon us...with ashes falling from the sky.  The threat of immediate immolation may be scary, but ultimately the chief long-term danger I see in these fires is in their detrimental effect on people's breathing...especially for those already afflicted with respiratory disorders.

I can't pretend to be a prophet or even a competent weather/fire forecaster, but this year at least it looks as if we will be spared this fiery and smoky fate.  We have had so much rain in the last month that not only is it inconceivable that we'll have any of those fires later on, but also the ground in many places is turning into muddy mush.  Oh well, I'll accept the trade-off: I don't have to breathe any of it, at least...just avoid driving or stepping in it...