It is now less than a week before the FivePoints Half-Marathon here in Gainesville...and I'm unprepared, not having trained to that distance level in recent months. That being said, I think I'll enter it anyway, walking part of the way if I have to. I haven't run this distance since early March of last year...actually, I haven't even approached it since. But I have been consistently running on a daily basis and feel that I could swing a run/walk combo for 13.1 miles. Of course, I might just be able to run through the whole distance should I slow down my pace a bit...well, I'll just have to see how things develop on race day.
Since I resumed running in 2007 at age 50, I have run and completed a total of nine races of length 10K (6.2 miles) or longer. One was a marathon and six were half-marathons. That one marathon, the Ocala Marathon in 2011, convinced me that I was more suited for shorter races. As far as FivePoints is concerned, ever since that first FivePoints Half-Marathon in 2010 something has come up each year preventing me from running in it again. This year it looks, at least right now, as if I'll get a shot at it...but as I said before, my main goal will be to just finish it!