Friday, February 7, 2014

Just Finished Reading Goodkind's Faith of the Fallen

I have just reached the halfway point in Terry Goodkind's twelve-part Sword of Truth fantasy series, having just read book #6, titled Faith of the Fallen.  The regular protagonists Richard, Kahlan, and Zedd are still in there, struggling against their own nemesis, the Imperial Order.  But this book diverges from the previous five in that the author takes up much of the narrative arguing, through the characters, his ideas of libertarianism and his disapproval of government-sponsored programs and laws designed to aid the poor.  Under the Imperial Order, personal initiative and economic freedom are suppressed; those who work and produce are stigmatized and made to serve those unwilling to work.  I understood Goodkind's viewpoint on all this very early in the story without him needing to make it the overriding theme of the book.  Frankly, I dislike reading books where the author is obviously on a soapbox spouting his or her ideology...with those characters agreeing with his opinions uniformly displaying virtue and those on the "other side" being dishonest, lazy, and treacherous (and in Goodkind's writing, sadistic).  I rather like to believe that people of different philosophies and opinions should be respected and not have their characters impugned just because they are seen as being on the "other side".   Still, I managed to get through Faith of the Fallen and look forward to giving Terry Goodkind another chance with the next book in the series, the title of which I believe is The Pillars of Creation...