Monday, February 10, 2014

Just Finished Reading Martin's A Dance with Dragons

It took me a while, but I have finally caught up with renown fantasy author George R.R. Martin in his protracted series A Song of Ice and Fire, just having finished reading his fifth book A Dance with Dragons.  As with the previous four volumes, a lot of very serious stuff happens at the end...and people die.   But I've grown quite accustomed to that, and would have been surprised had some momentous events not happened.  The temptation here is for me to go into more detail and discuss how the various characters have progressed...however, I'm not going to be a party to spoiling the story for anyone. Martin supposedly has two more books to publish before the series closes out, although I can't imagine how he intends to bring all of the divergent plot lines and characters together at the end...who knows, maybe he'll just leave everything hanging.   He already had so many different things going on that he had to split concurrent events into two separate books, eventually coming back all together a little past the halfway point of Dance.  I wonder if this is going to be a "last man standing" kind of epic, with just surviving all of the ordeals being the ultimate measure of success for the characters.  No one is too much of a protagonist in the series to be safe, as I once again discovered with this latest book.

The next book in A Song of Ice and Fire is supposed to be released sometime in 2015.  In the meantime I will probably keep my memory of the characters, geography and events fresh by occasionally referring to a "Wiki" version of it, totally devoted to the enormous quantity of information that Martin has generated about this completely imaginary setting...