Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Facebook Reactivated, Link to This Blog

A few weeks ago I reactivated my long-dormant Facebook account and am now using it to post links to this blog.  Along the way I used my personal memory and "friends of friends" to build up a "friends" list of people who would have more access to my writing.  There are a couple of reasons I'm back on Facebook...

One is simply that the area of personal blogging simply isn't what it used to be a few years ago; instead the potential readers appear to have rushed en masse to Facebook to accomplish what they would have been doing on Google's Blogger, Wordpress, or other blogging sites.  And Facebook tends to be insular in nature, encouraging its users to circulate within its system without the need to get out on the Web at-large and surf around.  So for that reason I've connected Facebook to this blog, which in April will be seven years old with 2200+ articles. 

Another reason to resurrect my Facebook account is to give myself a little "push" into the discomfort zone and engage more with the people I know (or who know the people I know) and stay out of the "cave of reclusiveness" that I have had the tendency to revel in for much of my life.  That having been said, I am not by habit a blogger who uses very much in the way of graphics in my presentations.  But I see that photos, videos, "posters" with snappy lines, and the like tend to dominate the Facebook news feed.  This is good for those who are inclined to do this, and probably fits in better with the vision that the designers of this social network had for its use.  So far, I enjoy Facebook and hope that those of you with links to this blog enjoy reading it, regardless whether you agree or disagree with what I'm saying...