Monday, December 30, 2013

Read My First Louis L'Amour Novel Yesterday

In a temporary change of genre, I just read my first Louis L'Amour novel, a 1980 story titled Lonely on the Mountain.  L'Amour is a famous author primarily of westerns, but with a sprinkling of other types of fiction, which I was surprised to also include science fiction.  Upon further reading about him, I discovered that this author had written 100 novels and 250 short stories,  quite a feat of prolificacy.  The book I read was simply what I picked up off the library shelf and was one of those novels that continued to highlight a particular recurring set of characters...in this case the Sackett family.  In Lonely on the Mountain, the plot flows around the quest of the Sackett brothers (this is all taking place in the post-Civil War far west) to drive several hundred cattle hundreds of miles through all sorts of dangers in order to rescue a relative, who had made the request under duress.  I liked L'Amour's writing style, but I have to admit that while I was intrigued by how he depicted life in the wilds of the American frontier in the late nineteenth century, I didn't particularly care for the way that the characters fell squarely in either the "good guys" or "bad guys" columns: I like more complex personalities in my fiction.  But overall I had a pleasant go of it with this story and may find myself delving into some more of Louis L'Amour's works in the future (especially the science fiction)...

No comments:

Post a Comment