Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Gators Still Hopeful Despite Driskell Injury
Last Saturday the Florida Gators were able to overcome a first quarter second-ending ankle injury to their starting quarterback Jeff Driskel as they once again defeated hapless Tennessee 31-17. It was backup junior quarterback Tyler Murphy who stepped in and regenerated the then-stalling offense, which had committed several early turnovers. Murphy seemed to be very quick with reading defenses and reacting to opposing players, sidestepping potential sacks and breaking tackles for good rushing yardage. His passing had flashes of brilliance as well. If he can avoid injury, I have high hopes for him and the Gator offense as the schedule gets more difficult in a few weeks. For now, though, Florida will travel for their next game against Kentucky, which is experiencing a rather difficult time with their performance this year. The following week they'll play another relatively weaker SEC opponent in Arkansas before encountering LSU on the road and then more difficulty. But now, barring injury (always a possibility, just ask Driskel), I now think they have a fighting chance. I wasn't so sure after the offense's dismal performance the previous game against the University of Miami. Notice that I've said nothing so far about Florida's defense. That's because they are consistently good. It will be interesting to see how well they do against tougher foes like LSU, Georgia, and South Carolina down the road...