I just finished reading A Clash of Kings, which is George R.R. Martin's second installment in his fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire. There is no "main" protagonist to this work, at least not on the line of Tolkien's Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit. Instead, it's more like that author's presentation of the characters in Lord of the Rings...but with some of the "bad guys" also weighing in on the narrative from their own vantage points. Imagine getting a perspective on Tolkien's epic story from the viewpoint of Saruman! I first thought this method of telling the story was annoying, but now I find it very interesting. With this system of chapters headed by a diversity of characters experiencing the plot contained within, it also puts in doubt their ultimate survival within the series. Martin pulled a Hitchcock-like "Psycho" on readers of the first book, A Game of Thrones, when he then brutally rubbed out what seemed to be a central character in the series. More of the same ensued in the book I just finished, but by the time they occurred I had been expecting something of the sort and wasn't quite as traumatized.
Volume three of A Song of Ice and Fire is titled A Storm of Swords. I'll be starting it soon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment