Monday, September 23, 2013

Are Dolphins Returning to Old Winning Ways?

The Miami Dolphins are surprising me, week after week in this young 2013 National Football League season.  In their first game against Cleveland, I felt they had to win that game since the Browns were most likely a relatively weak team this year.  Still, knowing Miami's recent history with poor starts, I was doubtful...then pleasantly surprised when the Dolphins pulled out a win, 23-10.  The next game was a road game against the Indianapolis Colts, lead by their rookie sensation of last year, quarterback Andrew Luck, and which made the playoffs.  But I was amazed at how Miami won a close victory, accomplished by a complete team effort that included dampening Luck's effectiveness with a tough defense.  The score was 24-20.  Then, yesterday the Dolphins had a home game against on of last year's National Conference finalists, the Atlanta Falcons.  Once again the Dolphins prevailed in a close one, this time 27-23.

2013 is the first season since 2002 that Miami has started the regular season with a 3-0 record.  Their next game is going to be another challenge: Monday night at New Orleans against the (also) 3-0 Saints.  Should the Dolphins win this one, it will be the first time since 1995 that they went 4-0.  I'm feeling pretty good about them so far, but the most crucial games will be the six they play within their own division against rivals New England, New York (Jets), and Buffalo.  I don't explain Miami to win the rest of their games, but if they can do well inside their own division, then they should be able to do something they haven't accomplished since 2008: make the playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment