Well, the day after tomorrow the long-awaited date is arriving: the opening day for the sale of Stephen King's novel Doctor Sleep. It's been long-awaited at least for me, to the same extent that I used to wait for those last few Harry Potter novels to come out. Of course, with them bookstores would hold store-wide celebrations as they would keep their doors open past midnight, when the new books would be permitted to be sold. I don't see any similar fanfare, though, with Doctor Sleep, which is a sequel to his The Shining, spaced apart by several decades. I saw King on C-Span once a couple of years ago when he went over some of his projects that would soon be published. Along with the upcoming release, he also then discussed his excellent 11/22/63 and a short Dark Tower novel titled The Wind Through the Keyhole. When he read a short passage from Doctor Sleep, I was instantly intrigued and sold on it (and just a little suspicious thereafter on the Interstate of some of the slower vehicles on the right). Unfortunately, the decision was made to release it last of all...but it may all be for the best in the end as the author had felt the need to revise some sections in it.
I have Doctor Sleep on hold/reserve at my county public library, but I'm far back on the waiting list at #47. It will take a while for the book to come my way, although I'm sure they ordered several copies of it. So I may just buy the book outright or maybe just stop in one of those bookstores and get a head start on my reading. I do have a little bit of curiosity as to whether any of them on Monday night will keep their doors open past midnight for the release...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment