I happened upon a Runner's World magazine the other day, this August's issue. On the cover was a teaser heading asking if sitting wasn't the new smoking. What were they talking about? Well, at the time I couldn't delve into the magazine. Later, though, at a local bookstore, I found a copy, SAT DOWN, and read the article in amazement. It turned my view of the concept of "rest" on its head.
Sitting for extended periods of time apparently has the effect of shutting down the body's metabolism, essentially negating the positive effects of exercise (even long-distance running) and exposing the body to increased dangers of all sorts of maladies, heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer among them. Concurrent with this charge against extended sitting was the warning that watching TV for long stretches was bad,too...unless the viewer was standing, of course.
We here in Western culture are a sitting people by habit. We sit when we drive, when we study, when we eat, when we watch movies or TV, when we socialize...and for many of us, sitting dominates our work time. Yet too much of it can slice years from our lives and make what we do have a time of worse health. But what can I personally do to reduce my daily sitting time?
The article didn't exactly go into the idea of lying down instead of sitting; I've heard, though, that lying puts less strain on the spine. Still, unless you're using the time that you lie for necessary sleep, I don't think you're going to eliminate the bulk of the hazard associated with sitting by just getting horizontal. So we're left standing with...standing!
Fortunately for me, my job doesn't necessitate sitting. As a matter of fact, none of it, sans the break periods, allow it! So I don't need to come up with special strategies that office workers might need to stand up on their jobs. Good. But I still have to drive...riding a bicycle doesn't present itself as a practical, reliable form of transportation. Maybe in 1980, but not now. And when I am with other people in social settings, often I will need to sit just to fit into the group. So where can I reduce my sitting?
The big area is when I am at home watching TV. This may take a lot of intense effort to undo a lifetime of brainwashing, but I will work to replace the deeply ingrained habit of sitting in front of the television set with that of standing. Keep tuned for my progress in that regard. Along with curbing sitting while watching TV, I also need to replace the idea that sitting is necessary for "rest" and a "break" and instead see how far I get standing instead.
I don't know which will be harder: changing how I watch TV or taking breaks while standing. Should be an adventure of sorts...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment