I usually drive to work around 10 pm and last time was no exception. While on the road, I often fiddle around with my car radio with the usually vain hope of finding anything worthy of listening to. One of my regular "visits" while radio surfing is WRUF-AM, a local sports talk station on 850 kHz. When I tuned in last night, some announcer was carrying on about how uninteresting and irrelevant the annual Major League Baseball All-Star game is. To drive home his point he asked the listening audience who among them would really be willing to pay the asked admission price and attend the game, without someone else footing the bill for them. Then he said that he himself sure wouldn't. Fine, I tend to agree with this dude's viewpoint on the subject. Then, however, he went on to call the next pitch...OMG, this guy who was just ripping apart the All-Star Game was one its PAID play-by-play announcers!
That crossed a line, in my opinion. When you're on the job getting paid to promote your business, you don't go public with your negative opinions. I've watched sporting events before that quickly became lopsided, with the eventual winner assured early on. And each time the announcers would make the best of the situation, using their skill as professional broadcasters to liven things up and make it more appealing for the viewer to keep tuned in. Not trash the event and then not blame the public for disliking it, too.
By all accounts, anyway, last night's All-Star Game turned out to be pretty interesting, I hear, with the American League pitchers putting on an appropriately "stellar" performance with a strong 3-0 win over the National League. I probably would have enjoyed watching at last some of it had I not had other things occupying my time then...
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment