Monday, May 6, 2013

My Daily Running Streak Ends at 370

After yesterday's pleasant 4.51 mile run around my neighborhood (relatively low temperature and humidity for this time of year), I decided to deliberately end my personal record streak of consecutive running days at 370.  I had been thinking of doing this earlier, but wanted to get past that one-year mark first.  Today I'll be taking my first break in a long time from running.  I have been feeling a recurring ache in my right foot anyway, and I think that just giving it a rest for a few days will be helpful.  Also, I  ordered some new running shoes online (I prefer the Reebok brand) and should get them in about a week.  When I go back "on the road", I'll have some better supporting footwear.  In the meantime, I'm thinking of going back to the swimming pool to do laps, for the first time as a matter of fact since August of 2011.  The gym I'm a member of has a nice indoor pool but I never got around to using it.  Now's a good opportunity!

When I go back to running, I plan to run for longer distances at a time and take more breaks throughout the week.  And running twice a day, which I had been doing a lot of during the past few months, is not a good idea.  So in essence I'll be returning to the training pattern I used back in 2010 when I built up my endurance for the marathon.  But I think I'll just stick to half-marathons, just the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment