Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Elliptical Cross-Trainer My Alternative Choice for Training

On Monday evening, I went down to the local gym of which I'm a member.  For the first time in quite a long time, though, I didn't go there to run on the treadmill: I'm taking a break from that activity to give my right foot a chance to heal up.  Instead, I tried out one of their elliptical cross-trainer machines, which I worked out on for ten minutes at "level five".  For the first six or seven minutes on it, I used the wide handlebars that allowed me to work out my upper body.  Mistake.  I haven't done that in well over a year, and I now have some soreness up there because of that.  But at least I had enough presence of mind to realize at the end of my short workout that I could just hold on to the machine's stationary central handle that focused the workout on my legs.  From now on I'll be doing that: I get enough of an upper-body workout at my paid job, anyway.

My foot already feels better after just a couple of days of not running on it, and I'll be going back to the gym tonight to use their elliptical machine (without the upper-body workout).  As far as the idea of using their swimming pool is concerned, the time of day that I go there, with my new work schedule, puts me when the pool tends to be crowded.  Using the cross-trainer is instead much closer to the old treadmill routine.  I can even watch the NBA playoffs or Univision on the TV while I train!

No comments:

Post a Comment