Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Upcoming February Stress and My Serenity

The upcoming month of February, 2013 looms as one of those transitional (or transformational) times that I find myself passing through, albeit not necessarily as I would like.  It seems, though, that, like it or not, many areas of my life will be tested and most probably changed considerably by the time that March 1 rolls around.  Health, family, work...everything seems to be coming to a head in February.  Some things I see ahead for me that are for the good, but some give me an ominous feeling of foreboding.  There is a wonderful saying that some Christian circles use for stressful and potentially dangerous times like this, and it is called The Serenity Prayer, composed by Reinhold Niebuhr (this is just its first part):

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

I need to pass through what I see as a period of stressful instability in my various situations, but I can remain serene through it all!  As a matter of fact, this may be a vital survival strategy for me...