In December, my total mileage skyrocketed, far beyond my monthly goal of 100 miles. I just finished a relatively short 3.25 mile run, giving me a month's total of 155.63 miles. This means, of course, that I averaged just over five miles per day. However, although I did put in some "long" runs (7.5 was my longest), much of the increase in mileage was due to me running twice on many days, in the morning and then late nights after work. The convenience of a 24-hour workout gym with treadmills, combined with cooler temperatures and lower humidity for the outdoor runs, facilitated my increase. I ran every day in December, now making my daily running streak 245 days.
Although there were some public running races offered in December, I begged off entering them due to the simple lack of satisfaction I get anymore from participating in public races. For one, I don't dig paying the progressively more expensive fees to register for them. Also, the constraints imposed on me with the time and place of a race run counter to my freedom the rest of the time to choose when and where I will run. But most of all, I discern a sense of unwillingness on the part of other participants to be more sociable. Instead they seem emotionally insulated and clannish. Who knows, though, maybe I just need to try a few more times and see if I can't break into some of their "circles". That being said, I still have no plans for entering any races next month...