I've been watching some of these season-ending football games, and with most of them I couldn't care less who won. Take New Year's Eve's Chick-fil-A bowl in Atlanta between Louisiana State and Clemson. I was confronted with this game on my television screen as being "the" football game available to watch, so I arbitrarily chose LSU to root for. But as the game wore on, I came to admire Clemson, especially their talented and determined quarterback Tajh Boyd. It was also becoming apparent as the game progressed that, although the LSU team seemed to possess more overall talent and size than their opponent, they seemed to be more poorly coached. Finally, I switched my allegiance completely to Clemson when the LSU coach foolishly called three consecutive passing plays (all incomplete, each stopping the clock) late in the game when they were protecting a two-point lead and were supposedly trying to run out the clock. Clemson got the ball back, drove down the field (largely due to the intrepid Mr. Boyd) and kicked a game-winning field goal with time running out. I felt good about Clemson's victory although I had pulled against them for most of the game. As for this bowl's sponsors, not only do I resent them changing the name of this game from the Peach Bowl to one exclusively of a corporate entity, but I also quickly tired of those endless Chick-fil-A commercials that were supposed to be funny. But I don't see anything funny about a company whose leaders funnel some of their profits into a homophobic political agenda under the cover of religious doctrine. Don't expect to see me anywhere near one of their restaurants anytime soon...
Tonight the Sugar Bowl pits my Florida Gators against the Louisville Cardinals. I'll be working so I won't be able to see this game, one where I actually care who wins. Although many see this game as a mismatch with Florida heavily favored, I know better: the Gators have tended this year to play to the level of their opponent, be it higher or lower. Expect a close game tonight, with Florida prevailing while people around wonder if they're really all that good: that's the way it's been for them all season!
*******
Later...
The better team, Louisville, won 33-23. Still, I am proud of Florida's improvement this year and look forward to more progress next year!