Wednesday, December 26, 2012

NFL Dolphins, Giants, Tebow, Season Ending

With one week left to go in the National Football League regular season, my two favorite teams both seem destined to miss the playoffs.  With the Miami Dolphins, this fate has sadly become the expected norm each year, although they very well could be sporting a 10-5 record instead of their actual mediocre 7-8 had some very close games not slipped away from them.  Yet I feel optimism, for a change, about their future because of their new coach Joe Philbin and rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill.  They also have a chance at finishing at .500 this year should they beat New England in their final game (but not likely).  We'll see how things go next year.  But the other team I support, the New York Giants, have gone into a tailspin after leading their division most of the season.  Now they are on the outside-looking-in as far as an available playoff position is concerned.  And yet, they were in the same improbable situation for getting into the playoffs last year and ended up winning the Super Bowl!  So I can't count them out until they are mathematically eliminated...

It looks as if Tim Tebow will be leaving the New York Jets after this season, possibly ending up at Jacksonville.  The Jaguars, who could have traded for him after Denver signed future Hall-of-Famer Peyton Manning, would have filled their stadium for the Gator Heisman Trophy winner and two-time national champion.  Instead, the Jaguars chose to go with a second-rate quarterback in Chad Henne and now sport the worst record in the NFL.  I expect poor decisions from them in the future as well, so I'm a bit skeptical right now of Tebow ending up there.  As for Tim's short tenure with the Jets, I don't know what this franchise was thinking by trading for him and refusing to use him all season, even in the face of an extremely dismal year by their starting QB Mark Sanchez.  I used to like their coach Rex Ryan, but now I think the dude should be fired (doubtless to resurface on another team). Not only did he blow it with Tebow, but he also allows an atmosphere of open dissension on the team, with players commonly speaking out to the press against each other and their coaches...