I have expressed my views before about the Affordable Care Act, President Obama's signature piece of legislative accomplishment during his first term in office. Although I felt that health insurance reform was necessary and that everyone needed access to affordable health care in order to have preventive screenings and regular physician visits while not being denied service due to pre-existing conditions, I was disappointed with the final, signed bill for being too burdensome on businesses. Other countries have a marked competitive advantage over us because they have lifted the burden of providing health insurance off the backs of business and put it in the proper place of a government-run operation, funded by (the taboo word) taxes. But since we're not allowed to utter that awful word anymore in the good ol' U.S.A., except immediately following the word "lower", the lawmakers had to mandate that the business community expand its obligations in this area. So I sympathize a bit with the business owners and management. But what has been going on recently in the media, this close following the 2012 presidential election results, is another matter entirely...
I am a little taken aback at the very highly politicized and publicized outcry against Obama by different businesses that depend on positive advertising and the general public's goodwill for their survival. Companies like Papa John's, Dairy Queen, Applebee's, and Denny's, either through their centralized command structure or franchisees in various locations, are strongly coming out against "Obamacare", and in a very hurtful manner. These companies apparently were gaining a competitive advantage over others for years by exploiting their own work force with poor benefits. Now they have to own up and don't want to. The Denny's franchisee in Palm Beach County, Florida has declared that his restaurants will add an "Obamacare surcharge" to be printed on every bill. H-m-m...wasn't it Denny's who has suffered public scandal in different places for not serving blacks who came into their places for a meal? I have an idea: let's just make it easy on Denny's and the other aggrieved companies:
FLAT-OUT BOYCOTT THEM!
I don't care whether the whiners are local franchise owners or not: they are benefiting from the parent company's name and product. So the parent company needs to step up and assert themselves.
No more Applebee's, Papa John's, Dairy Queen, or Denny's for me. Not that I've ever cared that much for Papa John's or Dairy Queen, but I have been a pretty good customer for the other two (especially Applebee's). No longer. Any other businesses want to join the list? I'm ready to sign them up and spread the word against them...
Sixty-two million Americans just reaffirmed the presidency of Barack Obama, the first term of whom was marked by his Affordable Care Act, and these business people can't handle it. I don't have a problem with price hikes; new laws often dictate such a necessary course of action. But I will not play along with the political manipulation here. I've had to put up with enough during the past election campaign! So these people lost their precious election and didn't get their boy Romney in there to coddle them and suck up to their interests. Ironically, had the business community wised up and supported the government-run single payer system being proposed a few years ago, they could have been relieved of health insurance burdens for their employees. I say give all these babies pacifiers and put them on extended quiet time!