In the National Football League, the Atlanta Falcons lost to the New Orleans Saints today, 31-27. So what does that have to do with the Miami Dolphins, my "favorite" team? Everything, especially seeing that the 2012 edition of the Dolphins just got their butts kicked, at home, by a supposedly inferior Tennessee Titans team, 37-3. So the Falcons loss just increases in importance as I desperately try to cling to something positive about my team.
In 1972, the Dolphins went undefeated both in the regular season and the playoffs. No team has since accomplished this, although the New England Patriots came too damned close in 2007. This year, the last undefeated team left was Atlanta...that is, until New Orleans took care of them a few hours ago. So, the '72 old-timers on the Dolphins are probably somewhere celebrating with their champagne, like they've been doing on an annual basis whenever the last undefeated team goes down to defeat for the first time.
This year wasn't too bad, with no undefeated season scares. I like the Falcons and dislike the Saints, so it was a bit uncomfortable to go against my inclinations just to preserve the Dolphins' record. Whew, now I can go back to rooting straight-out for the teams I like! Go Falcons and their great QB Matt Ryan!