There is shock, shock I say, spread throughout the conservatives in this country who voted for Mitt Romney and were convinced that their "guy" was going to be swept into office in a landslide over Barack Obama. After all, their media sources predicted it, didn't they? Yes, that's an example of what can happen if you get yourself into a feedback loop and keep getting the same information from "supportive" sources without any independent verification (or refutation). But I'm not looking down on my fellow conservatives, some of whom seem to be quite distraught. After all, I got myself caught up in a similar experience in 2004.
Toward election day in 2004, the Democratic Party challenger to incumbent George W. Bush, John Kerry, was mounting a heroic, tough final campaign surge. And the polls seem to bear out (at least some of them) that he may have caught up with his Republican rival. On election day, especially in the decisive swing state of Ohio, positive voter exit polls further gave the impression that Kerry indeed was on his way to victory. But, as was the case with Romney, a funny thing happened on the way to Kerry's election: it didn't happen, and the incumbent edged him out. Yes, I was very discouraged over this turn of events. But I accepted the results and wanted for Mr. Bush to do better in his second term (I was later disappointed).
All I can say is that you win some and you lose some. I believe that both candidates in both elections loved America and sincerely thought that they had the best program for the nation. I also believe that this should be recognized by ALL, even those who voted against them. Instead, I sadly see an increasing polarization among the people: when their party is out of power (regardless which party that happens to be), somehow, for too many, they act as if their country has been taken over by the enemy. And that, my dear friends, is a very unpatriotic and antidemocratic attitude to foster!