There is a certain individual in my life, someone whose presence I could probably do well without. The good thing is that there is usually only a very brief period in my day that I encounter him. The bad thing is that this individual is completely out of control with his speech, going off on loud, obnoxious and insulting rants about politics. That I am diametrically opposed to his political "philosophy", which he seems to have assembled from FoxRepublicanNews talking points, makes this necessary exposure to his drivel that much more unpleasant. And he's loud, one of those people who think that EVERYONE in the room needs to hear what he's saying, to the point where no one can even hear their own thoughts. Yes, this is one obnoxious, unpleasant dude. Yet...
Today I was sitting in a local fast food eatery having lunch and trying to read a little before having to go to work (and probably have to listen to the aforementioned jerk). I didn't expect quiet conditions, but still it was very unpleasant because another person in the back of the dining area was loudly shooting off his opinions to someone standing right next to him. There was no need to bellow out his words; he was obviously imposing his opinions on everyone present whether they wanted to hear them or not. As it turned out with this guy, I happened to agree with almost everything he said. But I was still offended at his attitude and verbal aggression.
"Avoid loud and aggressive people: they are vexatious to the spirit." That is a line from Max Erhmann's celebrated Desiderata and is advice well worth taking. I could have taken my food outside today, but I cannot completely avoid this other character...