Friday, October 12, 2012

Avoiding Election Results

I wonder what would happen if, for this year's general election, I went out of my way on Election Day (and possibly beyond) to avoid hearing or reading about the results.  I realize that, ultimately, I would find out one way or another who won this extraordinarily depressing election.  After all, I'll be working that Tuesday night and will be surrounded by colleagues who are intimately concerned about who gets elected, especially in the presidential race.  And if, by some wonder of wonders, I should make it home from work still blissfully ignorant of the results, I have no doubt that my family would be only too happy to fill me in on what I had deliberately been missing.  Of course, I could tell them not to "give it away" and see how long I could then remain uninformed.  This would entail me deliberately avoiding TV, radio, the Internet, newspapers, and even other people out in public...

I've tried this little "Ignore" game two other times in my life, but they both involved football scores, not election results.  The first time was the 1984 Super Bowl (for the '83 season) between the (then) Los Angeles Raiders and the Washington Redskins. I was successful at avoiding the result until the next morning when I inadvertently caught the score on a newspaper in a rack I was passing by on the way to work.  The other was the college national championship game a few years ago between the Florida Gators and the Oklahoma Sooners.  My cheering co-workers gave this one away before the game was even officially over...

Of course, if this year's presidential election goes the way that 2000's did, it won't matter whether or not I avoid seeking the results! 

No comments:

Post a Comment