I was watching the Houston Texans (or is it the Texas Houstons) playing the New York Jets on Monday Night Football. Normally I'd root against the Jets during the regular season as they are divisional rivals to my Miami Dolphins, but right now there is another "important" factor in play that compelled me to root for them instead. Every year in the NFL, I go through the process of pulling against any team (other than the Dolphins, of course) that looks like it might go undefeated. That's because Miami, back in 1972, was the only team to accomplish this feat, winning all of their games in both the regular and post-season. The scariest moment I've had was New England's near perfect season in 2007, remedied only by the New York Giants' amazing last-minute come-from-behind upset of them in the Super Bowl. This year only the Atlanta Falcons and the Houston Texans are left, and I want them to lose. After that happens, they can win the rest of their games, for all I care (except when playing the Dolphins, that is).
Unfortunately, both teams won their games this past weekend and I'll have to put off my annual celebration for at least another week. What struck me during the Texans/Jets game was how dominant Houston's defensive line was...except when New York (rarely) put in their backup Tim Tebow as quarterback. Tebow would get in for a play, make a good gain, get everybody excited...and then leave. After which starter Mark Sanchez would return and get overwhelmed by the Texas pass rush (especially by that incredible J.J. Watt). And the drive would stall. Once they were at the Houston goal line after Tebow had a big running gain. They let him run just one more play, took him out, and the drive then stalled. I don't get what the Jets coaches are thinking, anyway. Why did they trade for him if they are going to use this relatively expensive player so sparingly?
I recently had another curious situation when I rooted for a team I normally oppose. This time I pulled for the New England Patriots, another divisional rival of Miami, against my new "unfavorite" team the Denver Broncos, with their Dolphins-rejecting star quarterback Peyton Manning. Turn down an offer to play for Miami and you incur my wrath, dude. Plus, I'm not too happy with the way Denver used Tebow last year to lead them into the playoffs and then eagerly dumped him as soon as they signed Manning. Oh, let's see...so far this season with the great, exalted Peyton Manning as their starting quarterback, the Broncos are 2-3 (.400) while the "untalented" Tebow took them to the divisional title last year with a 7-4 (.637) record as starter, and with essentially the same surrounding personnel. So I was happy (at least for this past weekend) to see the Patriots knock 'em off. May the "high" and holy Broncos finish DEAD LAST...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment