I'm sitting once again outside a Starbucks writing this. This one is the closest of their stores to my house, and like most of the others this early Sunday afternoon, is packed to the hilt with "customers". Most of them, admittedly like me, though, are what my local rag the Gainesville Sun has termed "cypersquatters" in a recent article. These are people who avail themselves of the free wi-fi offered in coffee shops and pretty much camp out there, sometimes all day and/or all night. Nothing bad about that except that soon there are no seats left and the circulation of new customers who'd like to sit a spell in the establishment gets stopped up. And explains why I am currently sitting OUTSIDE, at one of the few remaining available tables. As for me, I almost never use my laptop in these places, rather taking along my portable AlphaSmart word processor, with no need for Internet service. And although I may be here an hour or a little longer, I don't grow roots into the floor either like many of the others, some of whom I have noticed don't even bother to buy anything during their prolonged stay.
Actually, I have a perfectly good front porch to my house that can closely imitate this effect of sitting out in public. I don't have to worry about not finding a seat, and I can save gobs of dough by brewing my own (better tasting) coffee. And I have quick access to both wi-fi and the bathroom should the needs arise. So what am I doing here at this Starbucks anyway? Time to change my study locale, I think...
By the way, cybersquatting has a completely different meaning, apart from the Sun's particular application. Parties who buy up web domain names just to make money selling them to other parties who would naturally be inclined to use them are called "cybersquatters" and are pretty heavily frowned upon. Yeah, and I bet some of them hog up the space in coffee shops as well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment