Saturday, June 23, 2012

Congrats to Heat, Help Sonics Find Way Back Home

The Miami Heat won their NBA championship playoff series against the Seattle Supersonics by handily defeating their opponents in the fifth game 121-106.  It was a great team effort, with the bench being a big factor in the victory.  Much is being made of the fact that LeBron James finally won a championship.  That must be an awful burden to place on someone: you'd better win it all or you're a loser (and if you do win we'll hate you anyway).  But that was the same kind of label that Dallas Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki was saddled with until his team won the championship last year.  I couldn't care less that James left Cleveland for Miami, or that the Heat were an assembled, artificial team.  Well, if they were, than so were the Boston Celtics a few years earlier. But I didn't hear the negative outcry against them for this that has been so vehemently directed against Miami.  Last year I rooted against Miami because I was tired of LeBron James giving up in the middle of games and showing poor sportsmanship toward opposing teams.  He has certainly come a long way and matured a great deal.  I wish him only the best.

As for the Supersonics, it is a shame that they lost their way and got stuck playing in a place like Oklahoma.  I'll be happy to help them find their way back home, though, with my Google Maps feature.  But even if they just go west until they run into the Pacific Ocean, and then turn right and keep going in a generally northward direction hugging the coast, they're bound to run into western Washington state.  And I bet the good folks up there would then be only too glad to guide their returning hoops heroes back home to Coffeetown...

No comments:

Post a Comment