Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Salute and Disturbing Question

Today is Memorial Day and I salute those who gave their lives in service to this nation.  I'm sure our national leaders from both major political parties have been very busy today attending public events where they publicly echo my sentiment, albeit in I'm sure a much more verbose manner.  And that's got me to wondering...

We as a nation have just committed our fine young soldiers to two more years of being in Afghanistan, standing around being targets of a strong enemy force with some of them inevitably doomed to a tragic death, new additions to our already too-long list of those fallen in military action.  And for what?  After two years we leave and that country will in all probability either be once again overrun by the Taliban or the present regime will reach an accommodation with them that virtually guarantees them control over much of the country.  So why are these very politicians, especially (sad to say) my president Barack Obama, going to allow our young people to undergo this danger and tragedy?  How can one honor the dead when they won't honor the living? I just don't get it...

No comments:

Post a Comment