Monday, May 28, 2012

Race I Wasn't Going to Run Anyway Cancelled

Two of my previous articles were about (1) my decision to avoid a Memorial Day running race in Green Cove Springs (with a $40 entry fee) and (2) the impending arrival of Tropical Storm Beryl in my area.  Well, because of Beryl, that race was cancelled, and boy am I glad I didn't enter it: the fees were non-refundable.  But...

According to the event's website, those who had entered would be given a $10 discount for the 2013 race.  And not only would the racing packets, which included a 2012 technical running shirt, be given to all entrants in this year's race, but they would also be provided with finishing medals.  Finishing medals...for a race that never took place?

When I pay my entry fee for a race, I'm sure part of the money goes into the organizers' expense account for providing the medals given to those who finish the run.  But I still have to actually finish the doggone race to win one!  I mean, what sense would it make for me to have in my running "trophy case" a finishing medal for a race that never actually happened?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment