Tuesday, March 20, 2012

NFL QB Musical Chairs Continues

As I continue to dwell disproportionately on sports topics this month, I would like to comment on the quarterback musical chairs game currently being played out in the NFL. Most of the commentary I hear and read concerns Peyton Manning signing with Denver and the impending trade or release of their quarterback last year, Tim Tebow. But other things are happening as well, including miffed quarterbacks in Tennessee and San Francisco who feel betrayed by their team's management for having gone out to get Manning to essentially replace them. This is especially the case with 49er Alex Smith, who had a spectacular breakthrough season last year and who was speaking recently with the Dolphins. Miami, for their part, signed David Garrard, formerly of Jacksonville. This after Jacksonville signed Chad Henne, formerly of Miami. Are you keeping up with this?

I like Garrard a lot, and if he stays healthy, he could be the catalyst for success that Miami has been missing over the past few seasons. However, their other quarterback contending for the starting job, Matt Moore, did play well once he was giving the starting role last year. So I see a good situation down south. As for Henne, maybe playing in another city will help his career; after high initial hopes, he never seemed to click for Miami.

Tim Tebow, I'm sure, will be picked up one way or another by another team, but it may be a long time (if ever) before he gets his starting role back as quarterback. He wins games and generates fan enthusiasm and media interest. Sounds like a formula that an NFL owner would have to take very seriously before passing up on him. I just don't want him down in Miami with fans screaming for him every time Garrard or Moore goofs up on a play...

No comments:

Post a Comment