Friday, November 25, 2011

Being Offended

A few weeks ago, while playing Tim Tebow's Denver Broncos, a Detroit Lions defensive player sacked the popular quarterback. Immediately following this play, the Lion knelt down on one knee facing Tebow, still on the ground, mocking his habit of doing this as a short prayer on the sideline. Tebow reacted later to what I consider to have been very offensive behavior by saying that they were just having some fun and that it wasn't any big deal. On the other hand, Tebow has shown a knee-jerk tendency in the past to act offended at the treatment of his coaches or teammates by someone in the press. So there always seems to be something that will set somebody off, although it may not be the most apparent.

I myself can relate to Tebow taking up offense on behalf of others, most recently regarding what I see as egregiously hateful and racist treatment of my president and, worse, his wife and children. The other day, acting as First Lady, Michelle Obama was introduced at a NASCAR event and was roundly booed by many in the crowd. Why? For being the spouse of someone they politically opposed? Rush Limbaugh then seized upon this story and said on his radio show that the NASCAR fans had it right: they were booing Michelle for being too "uppity". Racism if I ever heard it.

Personally, though, there is one thing above all others that truly offends me. I know that others may rudely and even crudely express something derogatory about my appearance, behavior, or opinions. To me, I try not to take it too personally, although I have been accused in the past of being a little bit too touchy about such things. But there is one thing that I will take up the banner of personal offense in a heartbeat and not let it go: when someone denies my own reality.

When I tell someone that I saw something with my own eyes and they refuse to believe me, I am offended. When someone at work says that I am missing a certain placard, I respond to them that not only do I have it, but I just posted it, and they look at me like I'm crazy, I am offended. And when I tell a friend that not only did I hear on the radio a specific story of common interest, but that I also read it in the newspaper...and he refuses to believe me until he consults with someone else...I am offended. And sadly, I suppose, these offenses tend to stick with me.

No, I don't get offended like all of those pious, self-righteous religious people who take to the streets and riot if any of their religious symbols are improperly presented in the media ANYWHERE in the world (or even on the Moon or Mars, I suppose) according to THEIR dictates. But denying my own stated experience (which includes my own very personal, vivid childhood memories) probably stirs up as much anger within me as does any offense that another decides to take up for any other reason...

And you know what, I have absolutely no inclination to change: if someone doesn't believe what I say I DIRECTLY EXPERIENCED, then they need to discretely keep it to themselves...and out of my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment