After experiencing some warning feelings during a five-mile run on March 22, around my right knee where my IT band injury was concentrated , I decided to cool it with the running for a bit and space out runs a week apart instead of every other day. So this past Tuesday, exactly a week later, I ran 2.7 miles on the treadmill with nothing negative to report. I'll wait again until next Tuesday, when I'll either step up the distance on the treadmill or run a short distance on the street around my neighborhood.
Meanwhile, I have been trying my hand (or should I say "feet") with speed walking on the treadmill. Well, maybe at least it's "speed walking" for me: 4.0-4.6 mph pace for 1.5-2 miles. If I could keep a sustained speed of around 4.6-4.8 mph walking and then train for distance, I could actually participate in half-marathons (or even marathons) as a pure walker and finish the race before the time limit imposed by the organizers, usually three hours for the half-marathon and six for the marathon. I feel encouraged with my speed walking, although I have only been at it a relatively short time.
My swimming has progressed well, too. I am now comfortably swimming in the 25-meter lanes at my YMCA pool. I swim freestyle in one direction and on my back in a relaxed manner in the other. Yesterday I swam 16 laps this way and then went to the shallower main part of the pool to work on my breaststroke form, about which I still feel pretty awkward and self-conscious. But even there I think I improved.
Today I worked out at in the YMCA fitness center with their weights and elliptical trainer. By cross-training, I believe that this will strengthen my body as a whole and enable me to avoid injuries like that of my right iliotibial band that happened on January 15, when I ran 26.6 miles around far-northern Gainesville.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment