Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Watching Yanks Opener a New Tradition?

The year has almost come around full circle from when my family and I visited Manhattan, New York. We had arrived and checked in to our hotel, the Marriott Marquis at Times Square, early in the evening on April 6. Discussing where we would eat dinner, my daughter mentioned a restaurant named Junior's she had seen just across the street (45th Street) from our hotel. So we went in there and had our first NYC dining experience. They had TVs positioned in a few locations, and by chance we were seated with me facing one tuned to the New York Yankees baseball season opener on the road against the Boston Red Sox. The major league regular season, at least for the Yanks, started on April 6 last year. This year it starts tomorrow, March 31, and the pinstripers will be at home this time, playing an afternoon game against the Detroit Tigers.

I had such a pleasant time for most of my New York visit that I would like to mark the occasion by starting traditions associated with it. One tradition that I think would be cool would be to mark the baseball season's start by watching the Yankees' opening game. Living in Gainesville, though, this is problematic as New York isn't a home team with any guarantee that their opener will always be shown on ESPN. Also, I will be at work in ensuing years (but not tomorrow). So I'll have to work some bugs out of this baseball opener tradition, I suppose, for it to take hold. My wife Melissa suggested eating cheesecake while watching the game, further connecting the experience with Junior's where we gorged ourselves on this dessert several times throughout our stay there.

I wonder what other traditions I could get going as well that relate to last year's New York trip. Well, I thought that I had wrung out enough material about my visit for several blog articles last year, but it looks as if there may be more in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment