Saturday, February 12, 2011

Postal Consolidation Affecting Gainesville

The postal service here in Gainesville is currently undergoing a two-month internal study to decide how this city will fit into the new postal consolidation efforts. There is a possibility that much, if not all, of the outgoing mail processing will be transferred out to Jacksonville. If this happens, then my shift would essentially end and I would probably be transferred to incoming mail processing (oh yes, I guess you can infer from this that I work at the post office). Which would entail me going back to the "graveyard shift" that I worked (and struggled in) for so many years. The most junior employees involved in mail processing might end up being excessed to other offices outside of commuting distance, something that, compared to my own situation, would be quite unnerving and disruptive.

If I end up shifting my hours, then I can handle it. But since 2003, I have become very comfortable with my current afternoon/evening shift. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, consolidation will put the postal service in a more viable financial position. And more hopefully, this isn't just an example of people in higher-up positions trying to justify their own jobs by stirring up the pot and shuffling people (and the mail) around from Point A to Point B. But I can see the pressure that the postmaster general must be under to make some drastic changes in the postal service. First class mail volume has plummeted in recent years due to the Internet revolution. This has taken much needed revenue away from this organization, which (contrary to what some may believe) is not taxpayer funded but rather must financially support itself through its products and services.

No comments:

Post a Comment