Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Little Indie Rock on AOL Radio

I'm sitting here listening to AOL Radio on my computer. The channel is "Indie Rock Mix", and right now the group MGMT's song Time to Pretend is playing. It was my favorite song of 2008, and I never seem to tire of it. MGMT is from Brooklyn...

But of course, I also want to hear new songs and new artists...but now they're playing a familiar band, The Shins, doing Gone for Good. One of their older tracks and not one of my favorites, either. I did like their songs New Slang and Phantom Limb. Let's see what's up next...

Ah, here is a band I haven't heard before: Freelance Whales and their song Enzymes (which sounds a bit like MGMT material). I like it; I'll have to check this act out. They are from Queens, NY and started out just a couple of years ago...

And once again a new band: Good Old War, from Pennsylvania, with a mostly acoustic piece titled I Should Go. Nice and mellow, I wonder if this is typical of their work...

Here is an old familiar song from an old familiar band: The World at Large by Modest Mouse. Modest Mouse is frankly not one of my favorite indie bands, but I did like their songs Float On and Ocean Breathes Salty. As well as this one...

Whoa, and now Spoon is on with their big hit (in indie circles) I Turn My Camera On. I really dig this band a lot, having obtained five of their albums. Currently my favorite song of theirs is Merchants of Soul from their Gimme Fiction album.

AOL Radio nowadays seems to have merged with Last.fm; I wonder whether I might get more "new" indie rock artists just by going straight over to Last.fm...

No comments:

Post a Comment