It looks as if my running recovery may be a little more drawn out. I ran 2.72 miles earlier today, with the soreness in my right leg beginning to present itself very gradually about a mile and a half into it. I didn't allow myself to run long enough for it to hurt like it did during the marathon, so I cut short a planned 4.1 mile run. Since the run, my leg has felt fine, with no pain to speak of. But with the LifeSouth Five Points race less than two weeks away, it is pretty obvious that I had better stay away from it, marathon or half-marathon.
Instead, I will step up other fitness activities, like swimming, cycling, walking, weight-training, and riding the cross-trainer (elliptical machine). Gradually, over a period of weeks, I will reintroduce some light running. I won't be training for any future marathons, though. But with shorter distances, who knows what I'll eventually do? I do expect an eventual full recovery from this IT band injury, but the watchword here is "patience".
I am especially interested in getting back to the pool and working on my swimming form and endurance. Of course, for that I'll need a little cooperation from the weather, please!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment