Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Running and Swimming Lately

For each of my past seven training runs, I have covered ten miles. This seems to be settling into a pattern, making ten miles my minimum, base distance. Considering that I intend to enter and complete at least one 26.2 mile marathon race between now and March, this is probably a pretty good strategy. I don't think that anything shorter is going to do me all that much good in trying to build up my distance.

I don't run every day, usually (but not always) leaving a day set aside for recovery. Often I take these occasions to go down to my local YMCA pool and practice my swimming. I am currently reteaching myself to swim freestyle, as well as the backstroke and the breaststroke for the first time. I am following swimming instructor Terry Laughlin's precepts on working to achieve and maintain balance in the water while swimming, a difficult but crucial step in becoming able to swim long and efficiently. I've begun to swim pool laps, which are about 25 yards in length. The first lap is usually a breeze, but by the fourth I am very tired and lose my sense of "balance", beginning to lunge and flounder about in the water more. It's funny that my running endurance doesn't seem to automatically transfer over to swimming! Still, I see swimming as a good long-term activity to carry over into old age (along with walking and bicycling).

Although I want to run long-distance for a few more years, I am also aware of the relatively high injury rate with this activity. My plan there is to accomplish my marathon(s) this year, maybe repeat for another year, and then taper down to half-marathons and 10-15K races. From then I'll see what I want to do. It is interesting, though, that with all of the support for swimming given by the medical establishment as a worthwhile athletic activity, there are no publicly-available swimming competitions (other than as a part of triathlons) as there are with running (at least in my area). Maybe this will change, hopefully. Not that I would aspire to do anything in a swimming race other than not finishing last!

No comments:

Post a Comment