It looks as if the spring climate pattern may finally be descending upon Gainesville, delighting both the avian and human population. Although the winter robin residents may still linger around here for a few more days, I am detecting various signs that the unprecedented, consistent winter freeze (or near-freeze) we have daily been experiencing here in north-central Florida may have finally come to an end. Aside from the average daily high and low temperatures jumping up by about fifteen degrees, I am noticing more neighbors out in their yards mowing their lawns. I will (sigh) soon need to follow their example and mow some of my weeds that are destined for their customary growth explosion this time of the year. But most telling is the residue of pollen left on my car windshield this morning. Uh-Oh.
Pollen means one thing in particular to me: seasonal allergies. And I have been very susceptible to them in recent years. The only things that have helped are Zyrtec or Claritin. I don't like Zyrtec because it causes drowsiness. But Claritin, in the form of a cheaper store brand, is already on my medicine cabinet shelf just waiting for me to pop the tab and start popping pills.
I wonder how severe this spring will be for us in terms both of pollen and of rain and temperature. I have heard the meteorologists predict a pretty wet spring for us. This is a mixed bag for me. I like to run, but I only have fixed times to do it in (unless I begin to run in the wee hours of the morning, Dean Karnazes-style). Maybe I should just start adapting to rain and run right in the middle of it, obtaining shoes and clothing suited for it. My lawn and shrubbery are also going to grow quickly, making me have to get out in the yard to keep my residence from looking like the Addams Family home. But, on the positive side, I had been worrying about the spring fires that have plagued our region in recent years. Would we have a replay of the disastrous 1998 spring fire season? Well, a lot of rain would quickly put a "damper" on that fear.
Spring usually comes earlier to Florida than in other parts of the country. It looks like it's finally arrived. Robins, take flight! And self, get some rain-friendly running shoes!
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment