Saturday, February 20, 2010

MP3 Listening While Running

I credit the use of my MP3 player during my runs with some of the great progress I've made during the past few weeks. Listening to the enormous number and variety of songs with it on "shuffle" mode has provided some variety to my running experience. For after all, my training course has mostly been around my home neighborhood, with some runs involving multiple passes through the same course.

In past road races of 5K length, I have noticed some other runners listening to their MP3s (or IPods) during the events. I thought that was cool if it worked for them, although to me the race itself, along with the different course, provided well enough interest without added musical entertainment necessary. But upon investigating the good ol' Internet, I discovered that the super-official (I guess it's official) governing body of road races has said that MP3s would not be allowed. Some participants in marathons even reported having their IPods confiscated by racing officials!

I don't see how listening to an MP3 player during a marathon race would be a problem, so why prohibit it? If it works for those who use them, then good for them. The last thing that the athletes vying for victory want, anyway, would be the distractions caused by MP3s, or at least that's what I would imagine. As for the bulk of runners, who have already paid a good hunk of money (up front and well in advance) to be in the race, they are mainly concerned with either finishing it or producing a PR (personal record) and aren't really competing head-on against other runners.

On the LifeSouth half-marathon/marathon run I participated in last Sunday, I noticed several runners with MP3s and IPods. So if there was any rule against their use, it certainly wasn't being enforced then. Anyway, it's all a moot point with me, as I relish the experience of running through the course and observing everything going on around me. Why detract from the special experience with something that I could listen to anytime I wanted? Even though I was already very familiar with the course and its sights, having lived here in Gainesville for more than thirty years, I found the experience of reaquainting myself with my home town to be very interesting and wonderful. How much even more interesting it would be if I were to travel to another city where I've never been before and run their marathon! But to each his own, and some prefer listening to their MP3/IPod during races.

Those making rules against listening to MP3s during races need to get down off their high horses and begin to work for the sport's betterment, and this includes making it more accessible and enjoyable for the bulk of the people participating, especially considering the steep nonrefundable entry fees they are expected to shell out in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment