Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Curse of Conspicuous Consumption

Normally, I like to claim that I am modest...so modest, in fact, that I can usually admit to having just about every personality fault in the world to some extent, if only minor. Of course, you could argue that this is really false modesty, for in doing so, that gives me leverage to talk about the subject as if I were somehow a big expert on it. But there is one "flaw" that I had in early childhood but since early adolescence have pretty much obliterated from my life: conspicuous consumption (or the deliberate flaunting of one's material possessions in front of others).

Originally, I learned about the term "conspicuous consumption" from U.S. history class, in which it was revealed that the nouveau riche of America's 19th century industrial boom (e.g. Andrew Carnegie, Cornelius Vanderbilt) would build opulent estates, hold lavish parties, and indulge in just about anything (jewelry, clothes, transportation, furnishing, travel) that they could use to publicly delineate how successful they were and "different" from the hoi polloi. But that trait doesn't just apply to the long-dead super-rich. I see it in people running small businesses, who feel the need to drive a BMW or Mercedes to distinguish themselves from their employees. I see it in coworkers who, finally having a decent source of income in their lives, buy the latest miniature phone/MP3/Internet gadgetry to show off. I see it in yuppie couples who buy expensive homes that they can't afford in order to keep up with their friends, who also tend to live in unaffordable homes. But I see it in children most of all. And that breaks my heart.

Kids don't necessarily intend to be mean about showing off their possessions to others (although some are truly dirt-dog mean to the core). But deriving a sense of pride from owning and displaying one's material possessions can lead to some unintended consequences. One, it creates a sense of inferiority and envy in kids who are not so fortunate with their possessions, possibly even leading to dishonest behavior (lying and even theft) on their part to try to "keep up". Two, it skews values to the point where owning things is more important than accomplishing things. This is never more apparent than during the annual Greedfest (aka "Christmas"), when children (and sadly too many adults) just let their fantasies of material greed run rampant as they throw them out, hoping that someone (typically a parent) will "catch" them and dish them back out to them on Greedfest morning. Hey, I admit to having some greed as well (see, this is where my false modesty kicks in), having asked for and received some very nice presents (thank you Melissa, Will, Rebecca, Dad, Anita, Jim, Jerry, Keith, Krista, James, Amy, etc). But you know, I didn't then turn around and show them off to others, some of whom may not have been so abundantly fortunate.

Let's not confuse conspicuous consumption with responsible maintenance and cleaning, either. People who want their property to look clean and well-maintained, be it a home, car, or anything else, are simply reflecting their responsible behavior in how they take care of their possessions, which can run the range from simple to extravagant. Doesn't walking into a well-kept, modest house impress you more than walking into one that is larger and more ornate, but untidy and possibly dirty? If you agree, then you are on my "wavelength". Comments of affirmation are most certainly welcome! And if you think that your possessions define you, than please explain how and why. I just might be missing something here (another false modesty ploy of mine, I'm afraid).

1 comment:

  1. Heh. You remind me a little of a middle school friend of mine who was fond of proclaiming: "I am probably the most modest person in the world. Ever." Still not sure if he meant it ironically or not. ;)

    ReplyDelete