--Terrorists attacked the western Indian city of Mumbai this past week, causing many casualties and great loss of life. It is still early in the investigation to affix precise responsibility for the attack, but at this writing it looks as if the terrorists operated out of Pakistan. That country’s government is obviously afraid of the terrorist presence there and seems neither capable of squashing it themselves nor effectively cooperating with foreign governments (such as the U.S.) who have the means to accomplish this. I wonder how Obama will handle this friendly government which is nonetheless harboring our greatest enemies?
--The insanity called Black Friday, where shoppers across the country line up before dawn to rush into stores the day after Thanksgiving to purchase Christmas gifts at big discounts, reached a new low on New York’s Long Island when a mob rushing the entrance at a Wal-Mart there trampled to death one of the employees. I never have understood Black Friday shoppers. Nor do I understand why stores participate in this lunacy. Hopefully, we’ll see more moderation in this spectacle next year as a result of this tragedy. But I’m not counting on it.
--With sadness, I note the passing of a good, decent man: Dr. James A. Himes, who was the Dean of Students at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine as well as a co-owner of the local Cathay Tea House restaurant when I knew him in the 1980s. He was in his late eighties and had been fighting cancer. Dr. Himes was a kind, considerate man whose passing will be mourned by many who loved and respected him. Including me.
--The stage is now set in college football for the exciting showdown between the University of Florida Gators and the University of Alabama Crimson Tide for the Southeastern Conference championship. The winner of next Saturday’s game will most likely play Oklahoma for the national championship in Miami. The Gators finally seem to be taking my advice (I’m sure they’re all reading this blog) and have begun to have some fun playing the game!
--The 2008 hurricane season officially ended yesterday. From my place in north-central Florida, only tropical storm Fay had a direct effect here, with its eye passing directly over us. Gustav scared quite a few in Louisiana while revealing John McCain as an unstable candidate. Cuba was rocked with three hurricanes and suffered much loss. Ike hit Texas in the Galveston area and Hanna traveled up the U.S. east coast. We got through the letter “P” this year, although there’s still a chance for more storms in December.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment