We all know of the ebb and flow of tides and the moon phases. We know of the various seasons, depending on what part of the world we’re thinking about. There are a multitude of cycles and rhythms within our own bodies. Instinctively, we understand that it is important to recognize these rhythms on at least some level and to not go against them. But rhythms permeate our lives on levels that we sometimes fail to recognize, to our detriment.
I couldn’t begin to count how many times I’ve been driving out on the road and have gotten boxed into slow traffic behind a slow car. Or just found myself stuck in very sluggish, heavy traffic. Or was trying to pull onto a congested street from a side road, wondering against hope whether there would ever be an opening for me to slip through. But in each of these scenarios, there is a rhythm to the flow of traffic that will allow for me to pull through. All I need to do is just drive safely and have faith that I’ll get though eventually. Often, in situations like these, I’ll begin to think about something else, and then suddenly realize that the traffic situation had cleared up and that I am miles down the road! The same situation that applies to traffic also applies to standing in lines. There is no need to get all worked up with impatience over things that are governed by systemic rhythms. If I just allow myself to “go with the flow”, then I’ll get what I need.
There is one thing that can interrupt the rhythmic flow of things like traffic and lines: deadlines. If I feel as if I’m going to be late somewhere, then the natural flow of traffic is going to seem to be my enemy, instead of something that I need to be a part of. The same goes with standing in line somewhere. Suddenly, every delay, no matter how insignificant and predictable, seems to be magnified into something like an evil conspiracy to hinder me from reaching my destination. The antidote for this, of course, is to give myself plenty of time to do things and get to places, so that, if anything, I’m going to be a little early, not late.
There is also a rhythm to human relations, with the various parties alternating between passive and active roles in relation to each other. Each person has a certain temperament that generally places them at a certain point on the active/passive scale where they’re in a “comfort zone”, and this differs from person to person. The trick in interpersonal relationships is for each side to recognize the other's “comfort zone” and with rhythmic ease alternate between one zone and the other. Hence, no need for impatience, dominance, or feelings of victimization, since all are accommodated, recognized, and respected in their turn.
I’ve just touched on a little of the types of ways that rhythm pervades our lives. It’s everywhere, actually. How well we can pick it out and flow with it will, to a large part, determine how well we can adapt ourselves to and enjoy the world around us.
Friday, April 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Uniquely interesting blog; a good read.
ReplyDelete