Sometimes I find, during my daily walk through life, that there are situations that I cannot avoid going through. And of course, the "wise" thing to do during one of these tedious and trying times is to find a way to make the most of the experience while minimizing the negative effects. But what if I deliberately pick out something that I don't like and then try to discover something worthwhile about it? I've started trying this idea with my television viewing recently.
A few months ago, I got my local cable TV company's expanded digital service, adding many new channels to my TV lineup. One of these channels was a Fox soccer station that broadcasts games from all over the world. Now to me, soccer is one of the most boring games there is to watch (although playing it can be quite fun). But one night I tuned in and was greeted with a game in the English Barclay league between two longtime rivals. I was about to "surf on" to something else when I noticed the jabbering between the game's two TV announcers. Both had thick local accents, with one announcer supporting one team and the second the other. And they would whoop and holler like regular fans sitting in the stands. They trashed the referee if they felt he made a bad call (this happened very frequently) and viciously criticized players for mistakes or just poor play. I found this kind of game commentary very entertaining and stayed on to watch the game. Unfortunately, that kind of play-by-play announcing is the exception to the rule of boring soccer coverage, but it's an example of how I could get something of worth out of what could have been a pretty tedious experience.
I also listen to a variety of shows on the radio, including conservative talk radio. Almost without exception, the hosts on these programs are rude, vicious proponents of their ideology and cut down those who express a differing world view. But still, from time to time even these folks will say something of value.
And now I come to my "acid test" to see if this principle works. I just picked up yesterday's Independent Florida Alligator, a free rag put out by University of Florida students that I usually have trouble getting anything out of. Let's see, I'm looking through it now: the front page features an article about tragically-killed-by-drunk-driver Gainesville Police officer Corey Dahlem being remembered one year after his death...my city, confronted by neighbors' opposition, delays action on a new homeless shelter...many articles (and letters to the editor) about the student senate here (mostly boring!)...man tries to steal electric guitar by hiding it in his pants (that made the front page)...Stephen Lewis, an AIDS specialist for the UN, spoke on campus about the plight of 14+ million women and 500,000 children infected with it...apparently, some 2000 Starbucks workers across the country had to share their tips with their managers (maybe that explains the TWO tip jars at the register)...lots of classified ads...typical UF sports articles...the "worship guide" listing various Christian and Jewish places to go (and which ones serve cheap food for students)...a couple of crossword puzzles...there's going to be a free classical music concert tonight at the downtown plaza (I have to work, though)...assorted other articles...(sigh) I guess, upon inspection the Alligator is better than I had been rating it. But nothing that really captivates my interest, though. I did find that the ads were more interesting than the articles. And I'm going to have to bring up the tips scandal with my Starbucks manager pal the the next time I run into him. But then again, I don't quite get the whole business about tips at places where I have to stand in line to order, pay, and pick up my product! Seems like I should be bringing my own tip jar for THEM to contribute to, seeing how much I'm contributing to their business!
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment